Since the first TV set flickered on, video has been a foundational element of successful marketing campaigns. Brilliant marketers – even back in the early days of advertising – knew the powerful impact a creative, engaging video can make with its audience.
And if you’re operating a business today, you’re even luckier. In the online era, it’s easier than ever for brands to add video content to their marketing campaigns, thanks to cost-effective distribution systems and affordable video creation technology.
This lowered barrier-to-entry means that you can get started at a fraction of the cost of decades past. There’s simply no need to stress out anymore over Hollywood-sized budgets, massive production teams and paralyzing distribution costs.
But this ease of production has also contributed to today’s crowded online video marketplace. That, combined with our current high-speed culture, means that you need to tell a quick, memorable story that will cut through the noise to both reach and persuade your audience.
If you can do that, you’re well on your way to video success.
Not convinced yet? Well, lucky for you, there are several persuasive reasons why all companies – including yours – need a successful YouTube presence.
It’s a Great Platform for Advertisers
Back in the day, businesses created a commercial, then found a channel that seemed to fit. Yes, the process included other intricate details, but that’s the gist of it. A video’s reach essentially rested on the educated guess of an “expert.”
Traditionally, this meant buying local commercial spots or working with an advertising agency to buy the media spots for you.
Thankfully, we don’t have to do advertising this way in the online world.
YouTube, in particular, features a plethora of data that allows advertisers to understand audience behavior and establish a strong targeting strategy. This level of understanding leads to more intelligent campaigns for advertisers and better content for viewers.
Gone are the days of speculative advertising. Let’s look at a few of the ways you can use YouTube to target the right customer at the right time:
- See Contextual User Intent: A viewer is watching a makeup tutorial, so show them an ad about my new facial skincare product.
- Serve Ads Based on Online Behavior: Using search history and cookies, show my ad to people that have searched for best skincare products or Allure’s website.
- Choose Specific Ad Placements: When someone watches the video “Avon vs. Aveeno,” serve an ad about my product.
- Basic Demographic & Geographic Information: Show ads to people within a certain geographic region or those within a certain demographic.
This type of targeting makes YouTube a great platform for advertisers. Don’t waste time on a speculative advertisement campaign. Instead, invest in a strong production team and start building a successful YouTube presence.
50% of all watch time on YouTube comes from mobile users.
You Need to Rank in Search Results
Most small and medium-sized businesses understand the importance of strong search engine rankings. I’m sure you’ve read countless articles on the benefits of SEO. And you may have even experienced its power firsthand.
But did you know that YouTube can be an even stronger SEO tool than your website?
YouTube is the Second Largest Search Engine
Processing over 3 billion searches each month, YouTube is second only to Google itself as a search engine. Its popularity is changing the way we search online, and it directly influences the way we’re consuming information.
Use Video to Rank Higher in Google Results
Go spend a few minutes searching on Google. You’ll notice that, in many instances, YouTube videos dominate the rankings on the first page. Businesses without large corporate budgets – especially those in competitive industries – often find themselves at a disadvantage when it comes to gaining rankings over more established competitors.
But you can overcome that hurdle with YouTube.
Create a strong YouTube video SEO strategy and you can start ranking for keywords that once seemed impossible.
Gain Access to a Larger Audience
Ultimately, a successful YouTube presence brings a whole new dimension to your content, as you’ll get the chance to reach a larger audience and present your brand in a new way.
When it comes to utilizing this larger audience, there are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Remember, it’s a social network. Get active in the community. Subscribe to other channels, comment on videos, and interact with people that engage with your content.
- Get your brand featured on other channels. Create strategic partnerships to get your brand in front of a larger audience. It’s a chance to show off your product and gain new customers.
- Use guests to grow your audience. Make videos that feature guests with audiences of their own. Once you publish these videos, ask your guests to share your videos. Because they’re in them, they’ll usually be more than happy to share, bringing even more traffic to your channel and increasing your presence.
50% of YouTube Traffic Comes from Mobile
You read that right. Recently, YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki confirmed that 50% of all watch time on the platform comes from mobile users. That’s an impressive number.
But that’s not it. It’s estimated that this number will continue to rise as more and more people adapt to a mobile environment. This is great news for companies that want to gain the attention of mobile users. It’s a prime opportunity to engage with you audience at pivotal moments.
Get Attention With On-the-Go Users
Generally speaking, mobile users have different objectives than desktop users. They’re often away from a computer, which means you could capture their attention while they’re out-and-about and needing your product.
Businesses want to capture the attention of users at just the right moment. Combine the percentage of mobile YouTube traffic with its search network strength, and you have a recipe for success.
Several Opportunities for High-Quality Content
You can use and leverage video in many ways. It’s a platform that can serve as a utilitarian tool one moment and a bold expression of creativity the next. This is great for businesses, because it allows you to showcase your company in a variety of styles.
Here are just a few ideas you can use to create YouTube videos for your business:
- Create a branded vlog about industry topics.
- Show off your company’s daily culture with behind-the-scenes shots.
- Conduct regular interviews with leaders in your industry.
- Host a webinar to teach an in-depth topic to your audience.
- Cover the proceedings of a corporate event with video.
- Use video to capture your next keynote or presentation.
- Teach your audience something by recording a tutorial.
- Film in-depth product demonstrations or reviews.
- Show the best ways to use your product.
- Share a testimonial from a happy customer.
- Explain complex topics and messages with an animated video.
- Special private videos for your best customers.
Once you’ve created your YouTube video, enhance its performance by taking advantage of the video site’s interactive features that let you link your video directly to a specific landing page, store, product page or event page. They’re an easy way to get the maximum value possible out of the video assets you’ve invested in.
Enterprising brands can create all types of high-quality content that will engage their audience, build their brand and help their companies reach greater success. These are just a few ideas to get you started – so head out and start creating your own successful YouTube presence!
Are you trying to build a YouTube presence for your company? If so, leave a comment below sharing the biggest challenge you’ve faced so far: